If you have not already heard it one million times, we'll tell you again: Warming up primes your body for a successful workout. And you should always make time for some quick dynamic stretching-especially if you work out first thing in the morning and just got out of bed.
This simple bodyweight warm-up was created exclusively for SELF by trainer Lita Lewis. It will be well with some of the workouts from the Stronger With SELF Challenge, but we think this goes especially well with some of the cardio workouts.
You'll do the warm-up below twice. Use the first round to focus on your form, breathing, and just getting your muscles moving. Once you've been memorized the movement patterns, use the second round to pick up the pace, so you feel a tiny bit of the breath, by the end of the routine.
Try this Option 1 warm-up on:
- Day 5: 20x12 Cardio Circuit
- Day 6: Bodyweight Cardio HIIT
- Day 17: HIIT Plyo Workout
- Day 22: Bodyweight Strength and Conditioning Workout
- Day 26: Jump and Squat Cardio Circuit
Do each move below for 30 seconds. After the circuit, rest for 15 seconds. Do the circuit 2 times total.
x 30 seconds
- This move is similar to a Skater, but you will not cross your foot Behind your other.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and core engaged. Send hips back and bend knees slightly to come into a half-squat. Staying low, jump to the right with the right foot, then tap left toe to the inside of your right foot.
- Immediately jump back to the left with your left foot and tap your right foot to the inside of your left.
- Continue to alternate sides, staying low to the ground, keeping the core and glutes engaged throughout.
x 30 seconds
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Lift your right leg and jump to the right. Let your left leg straighten and follow./108 As you land on your right foot, swing your left foot behind the floor. Bring your left hand down to lightly tap the floor as right arm swings behind your back.
- As you land on your right foot, swing your left foot behind you and keep left foot off the floor. Bring your left hand down to lightly tap the floor as right arm swings behind your back.
- Swing left leg to the left and jump, landing lightly on the left foot and allowing right foot to swing behind you, and right fingertips tap the floor.
- Continue to skate from side to side.
x 30 seconds
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart and core engaged.
- Send your hips back and bend knees to drop into a squat, allowing knees to bend to at least 90 degrees.
- Return to starting position by standing and squeezing your glutes at the top.
x 30 seconds
- From a high plank position, engage your core and draw right knee to chest. Return to starting position and immediately Draw left knee to chest.
- Continue to alternate as quickly as possible.
Workout images: Photographer: Nadya Wasylko. Hair grooming: Yukiko Tajima. Makeup: Deanna Melluso. Stylist: Yuiko Ikebata. Trainer Lita Lewis is wearing Adidas sports bra, similar styles at adidas.com; Motion by Coalition Jasmine Motion Standout Tights, $ 48, acrossatlas.com; Adidas UltraBoost X Clima Shoes, $ 200, adidas.com, Sasai earrings and ring, similar styles at sasaijewelry.com.
Gifs and first image: Photographer: Katie Thompson. Hair grooming: Yukiko Tajima. Makeup: Deanna Melluso. Stylist: Yuiko Ikebata. (first photo) Trainer Lita Lewis is wearing Manduka Cross Strap Bra, $ 54, manduka.com; Adidas by Stella McCartney Essential 3/4 Tights, $ 70, stellamccartney.com; Adidas UltraBoost X Clima Shoes, $ 200, adidas.com. (gifs) Joy Lab Color Block Sports Bra, $ 20, target.com; Joy Lab 7/8 Color Block Leggings, $ 35, target.com; Reebok sneakers, similar styles at reebok.com; hoop earrings, stylist's own.